Mirror Image, 41 Windsor Terrace, South Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 1YL
Telephone: (0191) 2851202 E-mail: email@example.com
St. Wilfred's Church, Kirkharle was consecrated in the 14thC. It has a Nave and Chancel but no side ailses, the West gable was added by Sir William Loraine in the 18thC. The Chancel windows are filled with reticulated tracery. The design is one of simplicity and great beauty. Three sedilia in the south wall of the Chancel; Piscina with projecting basin close behind them with a priests door in the same wall. Remarkable and unusual feature in the Chancel are two low side windows - purpose unknown. The 15thC font was once in All Saints', Newcastle, but when All Saints was destroyed it was abandoned and brought to Kirkharle about 1844 by Mr George Anderson of Little Harle. On each side of the eight sided font are shields of arms of old Northumbrian families. Lancelot (Capability) Brown was born at Kirkharle and baptised on August 30th 1716. He was educated at nearby Cambo, in the present village hall, and was first employed by Sir William Loraine.
A Visitors Book is available if you would like to make any comments or requests.
The following pages were designed by MIRROR IMAGE. All photographs taken by Ray Urwin©.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org