Mirror Image, 41 Windsor Terrace, South Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 1YL
Telephone: (0191) 2851202 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Bartholomew's church in Kirkwelpington was consecrated in the 13thC, thought to have been crudiform at one time. The tower is low and broad, with heavy buttresses. A long nave with centre aisle only and renewed east end. A tower arch to the nave shows zigzag decoration, two 14thC. bells are inscribed respectively Ave Naria graciae plena and Ricardus Watson (a former Vicar). The font is octagonal 17thC. resting on a reversed capital of 14thC. pier. The mahogany pulpit is small and plain with tester dated 1797. There is a large monument mid 18thC. inside the church on the north wall in memory of Gowen Aynsley and his wife, Mary. Sir Charles Parsons, inventor of the steam turbine engine, and his wife Lady Katherine are buried here with a memorial inside the church. The Revd. John Hodgson, Vicar (1823-1834) wrote his History of Northumberland in the Kirkwelpington Vicarage.
A Visitors Book is available if you would like to make any comments or requests.
The following pages were designed by MIRROR IMAGE. All photographs taken by Ray Urwin©.
For more information please contact email@example.com