Mirror Image, 41 Windsor Terrace, South Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 1YL
Telephone: (0191) 2851202 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Roman Catholic Cathedral of St. Mary was built in the 'Gothic Revival style 1842-44, it was one of A.W.H. Pugin's major works (he is most famous for his interiors of the Houses of Parliament). Instead of having one main roof with lean-to aisles, there is a triple roof. The 222 foot tower was completed after Pugin's death to designs by A.M. Dunn and E.J. Hansom. The Prebytery in Neville Street dates fromc.1860 by E.W. Pugin, with later additions (1869) by A.M. Dunn. The stained glass windows at the top end of the Cathedral are to Pugin's designs, made by William Wailes who had his stained glass works in nearby Bath Lane. The huge East window in the centre shows the family tree of Christ. It begins with King David's father Jesse, and the green vine threads its way through Jesse's descendants to Jesus. At the very top of the window Jesus is shown with his mother Mary. The rich carvings of the sanctuary and side chapels are done in stone from Caen in Normandy. The encaustic floor tiles and glazed wall tiles are important works in the history of English tiling. In a niche on the outside wall, at the bottom of Bewick Street, is a small statue of Christ: this is to show that inside the church at that position is the chapel containing the reserved Blessed Sacrament.
A Visitors Book is available if you would like to make any comments or requests.
The following pages were designed by MIRROR IMAGE. All photographs taken by Ray Urwin©.
For more information please contact email@example.com