Mirror Image, 41 Windsor Terrace, South Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 1YL
Telephone: (0191) 2851202 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The County Courts
Possibly by Scott & Reed (1864)
This building is Listed Grade II and like its neighbours the County Courts were built in the gardens of St. John's Vicarage, and standing as they do within their railed enclosure they still retain their original relationship with Westgate Road. Their status is signalled by the Royal Arms over the archway to the left. They are in the classical style of the period as was considered suitable for public buildings, but demonstrate an unusual inventiveness in the treatment of the window surrounds on each floor. The surrounds have lost their accustomed classical stability in favout of an almost organic feel, especially on the first floor, making the buildings rather novel and unexpected. A court room still survives in the heart of the building but without its original fittings and finishes.
Text has been taken from "The Buildings of Grainger Town" by David Lovie.
A Visitors Book is available if you would like to make any comments or requests.
The following pages were designed by MIRROR IMAGE. All photographs taken by Ray Urwin©.
For more information please contact email@example.com