Mirror Image, 41 Windsor Terrace, South Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 1YL
Telephone: (0191) 2851202 E-mail: email@example.com
Clarendon House (1896)
Architects: Oliver and Leeson
Location: Clayton Street West. Status: Unlisted.
A very handsome Edwardian Arts & Crafts Temperance Hotel which became offices in 1923 (Cackett and Burns Dick, architects), before being converted to flats by the Smith Darby Partnership in 1986. It makes full decorative use ofquality natural materials, playing off the rich red bricks with the greeny-grey of the Westmorland roof slates. The ground floor stonework is of very high quality and wonderfully carved below the corner turret and under the fancy first floor window in the middle of the Clayton Street West facade. This projecting window or oriel with its intricate stone decoration, slender brick window pillars and lead fishscale roof, is a perfect cameo of the quality of this building. Look out for the shell window next to the main entrance (which also has its original tiled hallway leading in to the flats).
Text has been taken from "The Buildings of Grainger Town" by David Lovie.
A Visitors Book is available if you would like to make any comments or requests.
The following pages were designed by MIRROR IMAGE. All photographs taken by Ray Urwin©.
For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org