Mirror Image, 41 Windsor Terrace, South Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 1YL
Telephone: (0191) 2851202 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Magnet House & Andrews House (c.1930)
Architects: Cackett, Burns Dick and Mackellar
Location: Gallowgate, Newcastle. Status: Listed Grade II.
Although this is a predecessor of the bland steel framed buildings of 1950s - 60s, its approach to choice of style and materials for the cladding of the frame is totally different. Traditional materials of brick and Portland stone were used to help the building fit into the street scene. The building is given a human interest with the excellent colour panels showing figures in dramatic but noble poses, inspired by the wonder and excitement of power generation. Too few post-war office blocks regarded the achievement of a human scale as being relevant in a world that the Second World War had deprived of innocent wonder.
Some of the text has been taken from "The Buildings of Grainger Town" by David Lovie.
A Visitors Book is available if you would like to make any comments or requests.
The following pages were designed by MIRROR IMAGE. All photographs taken by Ray Urwin©.
For more information please contact email@example.com